Underground Writers is seeking flash fiction submissions for an exciting new project in partnership with the 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival.
The Bedtime Stories project will see three winning stories selected for performance as part of the 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival, which takes place in Joondalup on 1-4 November 2018 and attracts approximately 80,000 visitors each year. The winning stories will be read by prominent, well-known Western Australian personalities and recorded as short video performances, which are then post-produced into a major projection attraction shown on a key building façade in the Kaleidoscope event site. The projection is replayed on a loop throughout the festival so the stories will feature multiple times.
The three winning authors will receive a nominal prize – but the real prize is seeing your own work performed by a well-known media personality and projected to an audience of thousands. Winning authors will also receive on-screen credit for their stories.
What We’re Looking For:
We are seeking pieces of flash fiction 300-500 words in length. Submissions should be family-friendly in terms of content but do not necessarily need to be “children’s literature”. Stories will be performed as – and therefore should be written in the style of – a bedtime story. Successful stories will transport their audience, be fantastical and will have a positive message.
Submissions are open to all Western Australian writers. We particularly encourage submissions from emerging authors and authors based in the City of Joondalup catchment area.
Submissions are due by 11:59pm on Friday, 28 September 2018.
How to Submit:
- Send your story as an attached word document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line of your email, write “Bedtime Stories Submission” followed by your name and the title of your story/stories
- In the body of your email, please include a very brief summary of your story (25 words or less) and a brief biographical note (50 words or less)
- Please format your story in Calibri, Arial or Times New Roman font, size 10-12, with line spacing of 1.5
- Submissions must be written in English
- Do not submit your work in the body of the email or it will not be considered
Terms and Conditions:
- Selection will be made by late October 2018 and entrants will be notified thereafter.
- Final selection of winning stories will be made by the Creative Director of the Kaleidoscope Festival. These decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with unsuccessful entrants.
- Up to two story submissions are permitted per author.
- Previously published work will not be considered.
- As condition of entry, entrants agree to have their work performed as part of the 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival and to having this video recording broadcast in other media related to the festival. Authors will retain copyright of their own work.