For information on upcoming issue themes and submission dates, please visit our Upcoming Issues page.
As much as we’d like to say, ‘let your creativity run free!’, we do have some rules and regulations to follow, but they’re pretty straightforward. If you’re unsure of any of the guidelines, feel free to contact us.
- Priority of publication is given to Australian writers
- Priority of publication is given to writers with little or no publication history.
- Priority will also be given to work that has not been accepted or published elsewhere – see note below about previously published work
- Pieces with substantial spelling or grammatical errors will not be accepted. Feedback provided is predominantly substantive
- As this zine will be presented to the general public please be aware of the suitability of explicit content such as graphic violence, excessive coarse language, and triggering themes. If a piece is deemed to be offensive, triggering, or unnecessarily and excessively crude it will be rejected
- All work sent to us must be the original work of the author or the author must own the rights to have the work published
- Submitting content to us may mean that your work is not available for publishing in other journals or in competitions. It’s best to do some research about this, and let us know if a piece is accepted somewhere else before we publish it.
- We have a limit of 40 lines for poems, and 2000 words for short stories and flash fiction.
- We only accept one piece of writing per author per issue. You may submit different or substantially edited work for consideration each new issue.
- Please format your text in Calibri, Arial or Times New Roman size 10-12, with line spacing of 1.5.
- Submissions must be written in English
- Please submit your file as a doc, docx, or rtf file. We do not accept pdf or txt files.
How to Submit
- Once you’ve read through the submission guidelines above and ensured that your piece meets the requirements, head to the submission form below and fill out all the relevant fields.
What Happens Next?
- Within a week you will receive confirmation that we have received your submission
- Do not expect a reply regarding the state of your submission – included or not – until submissions have closed. This just means that we have not yet decided which pieces will be included in the zine
- Once the submission period closes your submission will be read by our editors. Only after they have read your work will they be given any details about who you are; such as whether your work has been published before or where you are based (as per note above).
- Each one of our editors will read every submission. With all our different tastes and styles, we’ll then decide as a group which submissions we think will work best for the issue
- We will then send feedback on all submissions, whether we have accepted them for publication or not
- If we do accept your submission, you’ll then be paired with one of our editors and guided through the editorial and publication processes. The editorial process is to make any minor amendments that may be required before publication. This is the time when we check for spelling or grammar errors, or flow and syntax, or when we may have feedback that we think will make your story stronger that you may wish to incorporate
- If we do not accept your submission, you are free to substantially edit the piece and submit it next issue, but we retain the right to refuse to include a piece until the editors deem it suitable. Please do not submit the same piece twice – all submissions must be significantly different from each other for consideration
- All submissions published in the Underground Writers zine from Issue 17 onwards will be paid a flat rate of AUD$50 regardless of length, style, or previous publishing experience
- As we are a free, un-funded, not-for-profit, volunteer organisation we rely entirely on our fabulous Patreon supporters to pay our writers. The more money we make through Patreon the more writers we can afford to publish: it’s as simple and as difficult as that. So if you like what we do and want us to keep doing it please consider supporting us on Patreon. There are a number of rewards and all of our regular Patrons receive our original content first: all book reviews, interviews, blog posts, and, of course, our issue releases are delivered to our supporters before anyone else!
SUBMISSIONS FOR ISSUE 36 REVENGE/HAUNTED ARE NOW CLOSED.
STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS OF 2022 SUBMISSION DATES