As much as we’d like to say, ‘let your creativity run free!’, we do have some rules and regulations to follow, but they’re pretty straightforward. If you’re unsure of any of the guidelines, feel free to contact us.
Proposals for the cover art for Issue 34: Fan Fiction should be submitted by Saturday 3rd April.
- All work sent to us must be the original work of the artist and the artist must own the rights to have the work published
- You will also be asked to provide a personal bio and blurb for your art of up to 80 words which will be placed inside the cover
- You will be credited with the design of the cover both in the zine and through our media channels
- In submitting your idea for consideration you agree that your artwork may be used on our website and social media for promotion of the Issue and for Underground Writers
What We Need
- Style: We have no strict style guidelines and are open to interpretation of the theme. As of 2021, we accept colour artwork for the cover.
- Size: The zine is A5 and the cover needs to be a wraparound so the entire artwork must be A4 landscape. It is your choice to make one image that works as a wraparound for the whole cover or to make one image for the front and one for the back or even an image for the front that can be flipped to be the back cover as well.
- The cover will have a banner and title across the top. It is therefore advisable that the main focus of the piece does not occur in this region. An example of the cover with the banner is below.
What to Submit
- Rather than submitting completed artwork, we ask that you submit your idea or concept in writing along with a sample of previous work that represents the style you would use for the piece
- Please note that we do not ask artists to submit a draft of their idea before we commit to commissioning as we do not support the practice of asking for work for free without guarantee of payment
- The editorial team will choose the idea or concept that we feel best matches our theme and aesthetic following the submission closing date
- Submit your written concept and samples of previous work using the form below.
- If your concept for the cover design is chosen we will ask that you provide the final work as a high quality PDF with 300dpi in CMYK colour mode with 3mm bleeds. If you are unsure how to do any of this please let us know and we can advise.
- Within one week after submissions have closed you will be notified whether or not your proposal has been chosen
- If you have been commissioned, we will require a draft of your design within 1 week and the completed work within 2 weeks
- Upon completion, your artwork will become the face of Underground Writers for the quarter until the next Issue is produced and will be shared across social media and our website with credit to you at all times. You will also be invited to share your artwork across your own platforms as long as it links back to the Underground Writers website or social media channels
- We pay $100 for the full cover design and the right to display your artwork across our social media, website and for use in promoting Underground Writers and the zine
- As we are a free, un-funded, not-for-profit, volunteer organisation we rely entirely on our fabulous Patreon supporters to pay our contributors. The more money we make through Patreon the more writers and artists we can afford to publish: it’s as simple and as difficult as that. So if you like what we do and want us to keep doing it please consider supporting us on Patreon. There are a number of rewards and all of our regular Patrons receive our original content first: all book reviews, TBR lists, interviews, blog posts, and of course our issue releases are delivered to our supporters before anyone else!
Powered by Fast Secure Contact Form